Please refer to the TU Support to get information on a wide range of engagements for international students and researchers, from issues with Status of Residence to tips for everyday shopping.

In this COVID-19 pandemic, important updates will be posted on the university’s official websites.

On Arrival

At the Lab

Please set the date and time for first meeting with your supervisor in advance. Make sure you know how to get to the laboratory. For incoming international exchange students, you will have a tutor from the same lab (excluding short-term trainees). If your lab has not introduced you a tutor, please ask them. Have a face-to-face talk with your supervisor and tutor to confirm your learning/research schedule and the types of support you wish to receive from your tutor.

At the Academic Affairs Offices 

After you arrive in Japan, please come to Undergraduate Academic Affairs Section OR Graduate Academic Affairs Section to enroll *Excluding Short-term Visiting Trainee. Please bring your passport as well as other required documents. We highly recommend you to take your tutor with you.

At the Ward Office 

If you are planning on staying in Japan for more than three months, you will need to go to the ward office in your ward to get your resident registration within 14 days of arrival. *Excluding Short-term Visiting Trainee DO NOT forget to register for the National Health Insurance as well. We highly recommend you to take your tutor with you.

International Support Center

International Support Center provides comprehensive support to international students, international researchers, and faculty members of Tohoku University. 

  • Opening bank accounts
  • Utilities (Electricity, Gas, Water)
  • Procedures at Ward office
  • Finding apartments

Back to In-bound